Friday, July 30, 2010

Send Me Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Cash

I just read this afternoon that Televangelist Benny Hinn has posted a plea on his web site for $2 million in donations. You’ve seen this guy. He’s the Middle-Eastern-looking man who wears the Nehru jackets and is a very charismatic evangelist. He smacks people in the head to cure them of whatever ails them. I’m not sure how that all works, since I’m a big believer in Priesthood authority, but nevertheless, here’s his picture, just in case.

A little history, thanks to Wikipedia. His real name is Toufik Benedictus Hinn. He is an Israeli and runs his “Miracle Crusades” in large stadiums and such, which are later broadcast across the globe on his tv show, “This Is Your Day.” I guess millions of people attend his crusades every year. He even claims to have spoken with a billion people since he started his ministry.

He also claims to have what he calls the “anointing”, which he says is the gift of healing the sick. He has allegedly healed the blind, the deaf, AIDS and some other severe sicknesses and ailments. He’s made some rather preposterous prophecies over the years, too, including the death of Fidel Castro (not happened yet), the election of the first female President of the US (again, not happened yet), and the East Coast of the US being devastated by earthquakes (again). All of these could happen, I’m sure (and just might), but they were supposed to happen by the beginning of the century. He’s just a little late.

I’m not saying that the man doesn’t have a gift from God. Far be it from me to judge anyone. I’ve got enough problems of my own without thinking I’m better than anyone. Frankly, I’m not better than anyone, but that’s for a different entry. I’m sure Mr. Hinn is a very good man who believes everything he says. Whether he’s in it for the dough or not is not my issue. It’s the plea for money that gets me.

This sounds very Oral Roberts-y, if you know what I mean. Before you get all worked up, I also thought Oral Roberts was a good man, just like the Pope, Billy Graham and Billy Sunday. They all do a lot of good things in the world and have helped countless people. I haven’t helped that many people in my life. Have you?

But in 1987 Brother Roberts pled with the world to send him $8 million or, as he said, “the Lord would call me home.” Sounded like a dramatic plea and I’m sure there were a lot of folks who sent him some cash. Thing was, God didn’t call Oral home for another 22 years.

Don’t get me wrong. Hinn and his like do much good. While I was reading about him on Wikipedia, I saw that he supports A LOT of charities and helps a lot of people with his money. I’m impressed by that. I really am. I wish I had the wherewithal to do so much good. In the end, they’ll all probably go to a higher kingdom than will I.

It just seems a little awkward to ask the public to send you money. I never hear the Prophet ask for money. He DOES tell us to pay our tithing, but if we don’t, he doesn’t get up during conference and say that the Lord’s going to call him home. Tithes and offerings are between you and the Lord. The Prophet has no say in it at all, except to encourage you to get the blessings that come from faithful obedience.

I guess part of Brother Hinn’s thinking, though, is that things are tough all over. He’s got to pay his taxes, too, you know. I just hope he doesn’t tell us next that the Lord’s going to call him home if we don’t pony up.

Maybe I could try this approach on my web site. Things are tough here in Virginia, too. I must come clean first, though. I’ve never talked to God like these brethren say they have. I say my prayers and really try to talk to Him, but I’ve never seen a burning bush. I’m not the best man in the world, but I try hard. I’m not as humble as I should be, I don’t study the scriptures like I could, and I spend way too much time watching television (not televangelism). I also have a bald head, too much weight around the middle and a chronic case of dry mouth. If you’re still cool with sending me a few bucks and think I’m an all right guy (despite my obvious flaws), you can send me an email and I’ll let you know my address. The post office is well equipped to handle such a deluge.

In the meantime, does anyone out there know of a good tailor? I am really digging those Nehru jackets he’s got.

No comments: