Friday, June 17, 2011

A Moment to Boast

I hope you will be patient with me if I brag just a little bit.

See, I have the two best kids there could ever be. Sure, they give us fits from time to time (afterall, they are pre-teens), but by and large they are exemplary. They help some around the house (and when I say "some", I mean some), they do well in school and they're both about the most talented kids I've ever known.

That's what I want to brag about.

Hannah has been dancing since she was 4-years old with a dance organization over in Manassas. Her teacher, Miss Lisa, is a terrific teacher and very patient. Hannah loves her. When she got into the 4th grade she was eligible to dance on company, so she tried out and made it.

Every year, though, the girls (and a sprinkle of boys) have to audition for the company again. Nothing is guaranteed. If you were on company last year, it may give you a brownie point or two, but it does not mean you'll make it if there are more talented and dedicated dancers.

Hannah tried out for it again this year and made it. She starts those practices next week (I think). It means more parades and other competitions this fall and winter, and we can't wait. I'm so proud of her.

Jacob, on the other hand, wants nothing to do with dance. His big thing has always been baseball. He's played on a team at least twice a year since he was five, whether it was machine pitch or boy pitch (he skipped t-ball). He's played a lot of ball.

He got elected to the All-Star team in the American league three years ago. It was his first year of eligibility and we were thrilled for him. He got elected the two following years, too, both in the AL.

This year we took him off of that AL team and put him back into the draft. He got drafted onto the Braves in the National League, and now he's been elected to the NL All-Star team. Not many kids can say they've played for both. I'm very proud of him, too.

Actually, to say that I'm proud of my kids is an injustice. I don't know what the right word is, but proud doesn't touch it.

Know what, though? I'm not proud of them solely because they made the dance company or because they made the All-Star team. I'm proud of them because of the way they live. I'm proud of them for never giving up. When others told them they weren't good enough, they basically just said, "Oh, really? Watch this!"

I'm proud of them for not being quitters. I'm proud of them for how hard they try in school and other endeavors. I'm proud of them because they don't lie, cheat or steal. And I'm proud of them because they are trying to live right.

I'm just plain proud of them for being who they are.

I've got some danged good kids.

Now if they could just be a little more respectful to their mother, I'd almost expect them to be saint-ified.

Ok, well, maybe that's going just a tad too far.

They are such little demons sometimes.

No comments: