Monday, December 12, 2011

1st Annual Holiday Run for Smiles

Jacob is a runner. I've said it before...he's the runningest kid I've ever known. If we have to get somewhere, he'd rather run. If it's the end of baseball practice, he'll ask if he can run poles. I've never seen anything like it.

Lately we've been running in some 5k races to benefit this or that. This week we ran in the 1st annual Holiday Run for Smiles, which was held over in Vint Hill. It was to benefit some kids in third world countries who have no insurance to pay for dental work. As you can see from the pictures, it was a relatively chilly day, but we braved the wind and the weather to run anyway.

At the beginning of the races we run in, Jacob and I usually position ourselves toward the back of the pack since I'm not a fast runner and he likes to stay with me (I know, I don't understand it either). At the beginning of this race, I had to almost shove my way past a walker who would NOT get out of the way. You can see that in the picture on the right.

Finally on our way, we ran together for about a quarter mile. We decided that Jacob could actually win his age division, so he took off, leaving me far behind. After only about three minutes of running alone, I timed him and he was already a good 45 seconds in front of me. Go Jacob!

Since the course reversed itself at the mile and a half mark, I passed Jacob going the other way just after the mile marker. He was almost at two miles and bearing down quickly on the only other kid his age in front of him. But, as you can see, we crossed the finish line together. Just after passing the 2 1/2 mile mark, I saw him up in the distance. I figured he was coming back to tell me that he'd passed that kid and had won his age division.

But he wasn't.

He'd seen that the other kid had too much left in the tank to overtake him, looked back and saw me laboring and decided to throw the race and wait on his old man. What a kid, I tell you! What a kid!

I'm very proud of my son. I love him and cherish the time we have together. Unfortunately, he'll be 13 next month, just that much closer to leaving the nest. Believe me, I'm going to enjoy every single second of the next five years because after that my little buddy will be gone. Sniff.

Where did I put that box of Kleenex?

1 comment:

bNdZfam said...

What an exceptional young man you've got there, dude. Enjoy that whilst you can! Seems all the young men I know, as soon as they become Boy Scout age, I don't know- their wiring becomes all discombobulated and think they know everything and parents are just in the way (until they want something). It's not until they get their wisdom teeth pulled and become dumb adults again, do they realize that ..."hey, maybe Mom and Dad aren't as stupid as I thought they were". Do a fist-bump with Jacob for me, will ya? He is definitely on Santa's "good list" this year.