Monday, April 15, 2013

I Can Miss Like That

I run around a lot of courts
of the basketball kind near here.
I lace up my Ked's
And run with purebreds.
And then kind of just disappear.

For most of the guys I play with
Seem to think they're in combat.
When I can't hit a lick
And put up a brick
They seem to wish I'd just scat.

'Cause once I miss a couple of shots,
Or two or three or ten,
They neglect to pass
And then, oh, alas,
It seems I'm left alone again.

For all of those selfsame players
Who doink shots off of the iron
Will all look away.
They won't look my way
And I don't get the passes I earn.

G'head, take all those shots, my buddies
Hitting iron or board or air.
I can't buy a pass
I'm above your age class
But I still haven't got a prayer.

You'd rather I sat on the sidelines
And watch all your glorious play,
Instead of me playing.
Hey, guys, I'm just saying.
The message I'm trying to convey,

Is that none of you are real professionals.
We're all really there to have fun.
But it's no fun for me
When you so egregiously
Think that I can be so easily outdone.

These days I may be somewhat slower
Than I was before you were e'en begat.
But let me just say
All your dreams I'll allay
Hey guys! I can miss just like that!

----------

1 comment:

bNdZfam said...

Those young punks dissing you hermano? Don't believe it! They should be reverenced at your feet and feel such honor to be in your presence. Too bad that "the professionals" forget that you're all out there to have some fun. Sadly, they probably won't get it (as many younglings don't), until they get a little more wisdom (ok, age) under their belts. Play on!