Monday, November 18, 2013

WWJD

I read the newspaper on-line just about every day. I like to keep up with what's going on in the world.

After all, I am a former news guy myself. I've always been sort of a news junkie. I think that's why I enjoyed being in the media so much. I have always liked being the first one to tell people about something that was happening. I like being a news-breaker.

Over the years I've read about Presidents (some good, some not so) and Kings. I've read about stupid criminals and smart doctors. I've read about sports and life and money.

And I've also read about natural disasters.

So it's been with great interest that I've read about the awful typhoon that hit the Philippines on November 7th. I've watched the evening news for word on how clean-up efforts are going. I've talked to people who have family there, interested in finding a way that I can help. I'm just one guy, but I think the efforts of one guy, especially if they are multiplied by several hundred or several thousand even, can be very influential.

Last Friday, as usual, I pointed my browser to USAToday. I know, not the hard-hitting journalism that a newspaper like, say, the New York Times or Washington Post would afford me, but news just the same. As I read through the headlines on the front page, I noticed two that were side-by-side. They read:

  • Philippine People Anxiously Await World's Help
  • Thousands Camp Out Overnight Hoping To Get New Xbox

The first thought to cross my mind was of Jesus. What would He do if He were here? Somehow I don't think he would be reveling with the campers. I am pretty confident in saying that He would be trying to find a way to help. I believe He'd have His hands dirty, helping clean up the mess and helping rebuild. I believe He would donate whatever time He had to helping alleviate the suffering.

The second thought that crossed my mind was literally this sentence; "Well, Jesus IS here. YOU are His representative."

Humbling experience. Head shaking experience. Get some determination experience.

So, now I'm trying to help. It's mostly her idea, but Kelly and I are gathering clothing in our home that we never wear anymore. Instead of taking it down to the Starvation Army, we're trying to find clothes that are too small for the kids that we can send overseas. We're sending them via a gal in Kelly's office who has family there. She will send whatever we gather to those in need.

It's not much, but it makes me feel good. It might not make much of a difference in such a vast sea of suffering.

But, you know, I honestly think it's going down the same road that the Savior would walk if He were here.

Because in all actuality, He is.

And I don't think He's playing Xbox.

-------------------

1 comment:

Alison said...

This was a really good reminder for me. Thanks :)