Thursday, November 21, 2013

Gettysburg

One-hundred and fifty years.

It's a long time. Certainly longer than any man now alive will ever live. Longer than most people in the history of the world have lived. And longer than the lifetime of most words.

There are obvious exceptions, of course. Most notably among them are the words of prophets. But others, such as the Gettysburg Address, may as well have been spoken by prophets, for in my mind, they were inspired by God. They will last forever.

This past Tuesday, November 19, 2013, marked the 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's famous speech. It was only 272 words in length (that's also debated) and only took about two minutes to deliver. But it changed the face of this nation and set the stage for freedom for all men and women, not just white ones.

It was my honor and privilege to be in attendance at the anniversary celebration this week.

Many TV stations were there, both local and national, and thousands of others trying to capture a bit of the historical significance of the day. In one of the pictures above (third from the left) you can even see the 16th President of the US (or his reasonable facsimile) delivering the speech.

After the address I went to the battlefield and spent the rest of the day exploring, taking photos and soaking in the history that is Gettysburg. I love the place. I wish I could go there more often. Though it's only about 80 miles from my house, I'm the only one in the family who really digs history. So I go alone or not at all. Too often it's the latter.

In some historical places it's hard for me to imagine what went on there. I have a hard time with the Manassas Battlefield and Ford's Theater and even to some degree the Carthage Jail. But in Gettysburg, the battlefield is so vast that, for me at least, it's easy to see General Pickett charging across the mile-wide field. It's elementary to see Chamberlain's immeasurable bravery, fixing bayonets and holding off the rebel charge up Little Round Top. It's a simple thing for me to see General Lee and General Longstreet conferring on what to do next.

I love this place. Though I know the awful and gruesome things that happened here, for me, history lives on. I'm so grateful to have been able to attend.

---------------

2 comments:

Alison said...

Take it from me - it's a gift to be able to imagine and love it so easily! I appreciate historical events, but history has been (as long as I can remember) my hardest subject. Names and dates and most of the events go in one ear and out the other, no matter how long and hard I study. I remember one time in particular, when I was taking AP European History in high school - we were reviewing for a big test and I got to a name I didn't know. I assumed I must've been gone the day we talked about the guy because I'd never heard of him, so I asked my friend. She said, "Are you kidding? We spent almost two weeks talking about him!" His name didn't even ring a bell! I LOVE hearing history lectures, but for some reason, the facts just do not stick.

bNdZfam said...

I've never been there. Thanks for posting the pix and bringing it close for me.