Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Brrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

To say that it was cold this morning would be like saying the Pope is a little bit Catholic. Yea, just slightly.

It was 5 degrees when I stepped into my car (as evidenced by the photo of the thermometer in my car at the left), and by that time the sun was already pushing the horizon. The wind had stopped blowing, too (it's mainly calm now), so the wind chill had risen above the big fat 0. Out of the minus degrees.

It's currently 10 degrees in our fair city, though it's supposed to get up to a balmy 18 degrees by this afternoon. "We're having a heatwave, a tropical heatwave, the temperature's rising, it isn't surprising..." By Saturday they say it will be up near 60. Excuse me? A 55 degree change in less than 4 days? What is this, the last days?

It was so cold this morning the kids stayed home from school. Really. They really did. Schools were closed because it was too cold. Don't want those little rugrats out at the bus stop in 5 degree weather, right?

You know, when I was a Senior in High School (cue wavy lines like in Wayne's World - doodley do, doodley do, doodley do!) we went to school one day in February because it was so cold. Seriously. One day. Man, we were loving it. Of course, back in those days we had Carter for a President and a big energy crisis. They said it cost too much to heat the buildings. Yea, what about today? The price of gas back in 1977 was $1.50 (oooo, say it again!) and we thought we were being ripped off. Yesterday I paid $3.20.

But I digress.

It was so cold this morning my shadow froze to the driveway.

It was so cold this morning I had to open the freezer to heat the house.

It was so cold this morning (how cold was it?) I saw that the Statue of Liberty put the flame inside her dress (bada boom!).

It was so cold I saw a Democrat with his hands in his own pockets. Now THAT'S cold!

As I walked from my warm car to the building at work today, I seriously wished I'd worn my scratchies. Brrr!! The wind was blowing through my jeans and down my neck. The geese out on the pond weren't the only ones with goose pimples this morning.

Now, I realize this is just any other day for people who live in the Great White North, eh, (coo roo coo coo coo coo coo coo) but down here in the lower 48 (ok, I know it gets cold in Utah and Colorado and Montana and all those other Rocky Mountain high States), we're sort of on the sissy side when it comes to cold weather. When it gets down to minus degrees, I'm sorry, but you can call me Mary. When you can count the degrees on one hand, umm,

I'm staying inside with a blanket (or two), a steaming mug, a dog to lie on my lap and a crackling fire (not to mention the tv remote).

Geez! I thought the sun was going to freeze over.

But no. The sun is up there and shining away just like every day. In fact, it's now warming me through my office window, as hot chocolate courses through my veins and hot pizza awaits for lunch.

Let the frigid winds howl.

----------

1 comment:

bNdZfam said...

"It was so cold the Democrats had their hands in their own pockets..." I love it! I had a jolly good laugh at that one (would have laughed harder if it wasn't so true). Man, that is cold. You should know better than to leave the house without your scratchies. Keep bundled up, brotha!