Monday, January 24, 2011

This World's Beauty

THERE was a time when meadow, grove, and stream,
The earth, and every common sight,
To me did seem
Apparell'd in celestial light,
The glory and the freshness of a dream.
It is not now as it hath been of yore;—
Turn wheresoe'er I may,
By night or day,
The things which I have seen I now can see no more.

The rainbow comes and goes,
And lovely is the rose;
The moon doth with delight
Look round her when the heavens are bare;
Waters on a starry night
Are beautiful and fair;
The sunshine is a glorious birth;
But yet I know, where'er I go,
That there hath pass'd away a glory from the earth.

(Ode - Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood by William Wordsworth

The words to this poem haunt me, but not for the reason you might think. Wordsworth could string words together with such clarity and beauty. The only problem is that I don't happen to agree with them. Sure, things have changed from when we were children. Maybe they've changed even more from when Wordsworth was a child. It surely doesn't snow as much around here as it used to. Weather as a whole has become an increasingly inexact science, it seems. There surely is more pollution and fewer trees and other greenery. Maybe that's what he meant by "a glory" having passed away from the earth.

The thing is, I still see so much beauty in the world. I look for it. I cherish it. And when I do see it, I try to capture it by taking a picture or two. Below are some of my favorite nature-ish pictures. I hope you enjoy them.



No comments: