Thursday, June 17, 2010

Jerk Move


I'm an aggressive driver. I admit it. Most of the time I feel that sitting in a car and driving is a waste of time. I like to get there and be done with it. When I moved up here from SW Virginia, I got mad at drivers like me. I'd lived here for a year or two and my then future wife told me that I'd turned into an aggressive driver. I didn't believe her then, but I do now.

I try to be as productive as I can, memorizing scripture and poems and such while I go. During that time I feel relatively justified. At least I'm doing something instead of just sitting on my brains.

Two days ago, I passed a gal going down Rt. 29. I was going pretty fast, but it wasn't a jerk move. I define a jerk move as going really fast and ducking in just in front of the guy you just passed, only to slow down and turn. What? You couldn't just wait your turn?

Anyway, I passed her, got into her lane, drove another mile and then turned left, with her a good way behind me. I was already going 55 mph when she decided to pass me back, on a dotted yellow line on a two-lane road. Funny thing was that as soon as she passed me, she slowed down. and stayed right in front of me almost the whole way to work. She didn't need to pass me. She just did it to get back at me for passing her. Hers was a jerk move.

I didn't think another second about it until yesterday when she passed me again on the same road. Seriously? Seriously? This time she REALLY passed me for no good reason. In fact, she sneaked up on me. I didn't see her coming. Before I knew it, she was by me and slowing down again. I gritted my teeth and endured, but I stayed close the whole time. Another jerk move.

That brings me to today. I sat at the same light where I first saw her two days ago. There was a line of cars in front of me waiting to turn right, and one of them was her. Three days in a row! I felt my heart beat a little faster as I realized this was my chance...she hadn't seen me yet! She tucked in behind a little silver Honda in the left lane. I made the corner and gunned it, passing her and the Honda on the right with a quarter mile to go before the turn. It was a jerk move, I admit it, but it felt oh so good.

I made sure that she kept her distance today. No sneaking up on me. I even passed one more guy on the dotted yellow line 2-lane to put more distance between us. At the end of the road I turned just in front of a red pickup and a long line of other cars. She had to wait for them all and by the time she got out, I was long gone.

It was a fun drive to work today, much shorter than the last two mornings. Now I can't wait for tomorrow. Bring it on, girlie. I'm wise to you now!!

No comments: