Friday, June 4, 2010

Too much of a good thing

Let's face it, baseball is the best sport around. Nothing can excite fans more broadly than a good game of baseball. From a pitcher's duel to a slugfest, baseball has it all. Slow? I don't think so, not, at least, when you understand the nuances and finesse of the game. With every single pitch there is strategy. With every moment there is intrigue. I love it.

But I'm tired. I'm tired of baseball right now. I'm ready for the season to be over. I'm ready to get on with our summer. We've been going with baseball now for nearly six straight months. At least twice a week there's a practice. At least twice a week there's a game. Thirteen Little League games (6-7) and a lot more than that with the travel team. Combine Yankees and Bulls, practices and games, and we've probably been in a ballpark every day for three months.

I'm ready for it to be over, but only for a little while. Come September I'll be ready to be out there again. I will try and get my own team in the Fall season. Nothing I like more in baseball than teaching the boys the subtle skills of the game. But for now, I'm looking forward to going to Utah, sitting by the pool or just reading a good book in the sunroom. It will be nice to sit around and enjoy the summer.

Kelly's going to quit her job in the next few days, then both softball and baseball will be over and finally we'll have our nights back. Kelly will stay home with the kids over the summer and we'll just have a good time.

Oops. I forgot. Swim team has already started. Practices every night at 7:40 and meets every Saturday morning at 6am. Time? What in the heck is that?

1 comment:

Alison said...

I LOVE baseball, too. People here never seem to get it! One of my friends loves it as much as I do, but a lot of people don't really seem to care. I always think it's sad when I can't go to a game and I drive by the field and see it the stands almost empty. It's too fun to not have people watching! :)